Taking your Vehicle Abroad

Travelling abroad with your lease vehicle?

Vehicles travelling abroad in mainland Europe must carry the correct registration documentation.

A VE103B Vehicle on Hire certificate is a legal requirement when travelling abroad in a leased or rented vehicle, especially during the holidays – a photocopy is not acceptable. For this reason, it is important you give us 14 days notice to accommodate the postal service. The certificate contains details of the vehicle taken from the V5, along with the name and address of the hirer and enables the authorities to verify that the person driving the vehicle has permission to do so. The VE103B is the only legal substitute for the registration document (V5). Photocopies of the V5 or letters of authority are not accepted.

What happens if I don't take a VE103B?

The consequences of travelling abroad without a valid VE103B certificate will vary according to the country, the law enforcement agency and even the time of day in which the vehicle was stopped. The driver may be fined or the vehicle may be impounded. Without a VE103B you and your vehicle are unprotected and vulnerable to a potentially major inconvenience.

You can order the certificate by filling in the form here.  We will send you a form to complete and once we receive your completed form, we will issue the certificate and post it to the provided address.

Note: The address which you provide must match the address which is on your drivers licence.